Pelan Pelan, they would say as I zipped around the island of Bali. From factory appointments to artisan villages, I was always moving. I have been this way my entire life. Pelan, pelan means slowly, slowly. I have never known what that means nor how to do it. Holidays were spent reading business books even in my youth. Working three jobs to pay for school and never looking back.
This work I have started on myself and retraining my brain to take a step back was a fight at first. I guess it still sort of is, but I am feeling that I am stepping into a sort of acceptance. This is what is needed to ease up on life. Opportunities are rarely given a chance to speak up before I move onto the next best thing.
I am interviewing for a position that I am really excited about, sort of like dating someone new that you really like. It is taking time as it is an important role in the organization, but I am happy to see where this goes. Usually, I am impatient and want to get things moving along. I embrace this time to transition into the life that will thrive on the other side.
I can still hear the whispers of the former self calling, but I am starting to feel the healthier self-settling in. We know what is good for us, yet so many times we just stop short and run off to some other glittering hope. Daily meditations have been a part of my big shifts. Sometimes it is necessary to learn how to give in to the need for calm.
I have not been on a true holiday in many years. The next time I go away for a sunny escape, I will leave the business books at home. I will play on the course, kiss that moment to life, and let the breeze dance with my heart. The struggle exists when we keep it alive. Some are real and others are in our minds.
- Takedown the lists
- Say, no.
- Do not commit to more than you can handle
- Relaxing and investing in your mental health is the best use of life.
- Have fun, play, and look around enough to breathe.
- Meditate at least once a day for 30-minutes
- Ease up on your escape, sit down and stay
- Dream of love, the kind that makes your heart skip with its beats and laugh at the chances we take to laugh.
- Love today, every inch of this skin.
- Have faith that good is made with each step you walk towards your better self.